Anthony "Tony" Magestro--or known on the field of battle as Metzge--is an avid writer, gamer, and entrepreneur. When he's not writing, gaming, or entrepreneuring, he enjoys cooking, trippy movies, and trying to be awesome to varying degrees of success. Feel free to check out his LinkedIn page, especially if you need freelance help with content writing or digital marketing. Or just like to network, that's fine too.
Oh, how times have changed. Since the Aug Incident of 2027, the world’s stance on human augmentation has gone from a promising biomedical trend to a fatal mistake that cost millions of innocent lives. As Adam Jensen unravels the truth behind the Incident amid the chaos and rampant techno-racism (that is, the segregation and marginalization of Augmented citizens from and by their “Natural” counterparts), the player accompanies him in a plethora of conversations with colorful, often cryptic characters. Naturally, this makes for interesting reading — or listening, I suppose.
As the Deus Ex franchise is known for its immersive storytelling, it was tough finding a decent selection to label “Top 10.” That being said, these Deus Ex: Mankind Divided quotes are at least a good place to start. Much like the ethics of this cyberpunk universe of a potential transhumanist future, determining what’s the best is a gray area, after all.
But enough of my ramblings… you didn’t ask for this.
***CAUTION: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS***
10. [While interviewing a witness at a crime scene]
Daria: “You want to know about Daria? What is there to tell? Small town girl came to the big city to escape her problems. To… try and become someone else.”
Jensen: “Did it work?”
Daria: “Not really. You can’t escape yourself. You can’t just come to the big city and expect all your problems to seem smaller. It doesn’t work that way.”
9. “Treat people like animals long enough, they’ll start acting like animals.” – Adam Jensen on Augmented unrest
8. [At a police checkpoint]
Police officer: “License, permit, voucher, document of authority, temporary pass, travel coupon, and/or certificate of authenticity.”
Jensen: “Good old days, we’d just ask for I.D.”
7. Otar Botkoveli: “It is like I am always telling him, you can get a lot accomplished just by having a conversation. I will let you have the calibrator.”
Jensen: “Thanks. And what’s it gonna cost me?”
Botkoveli: “Listen to the man, Vano! Even when he gets what he wants, he does not trust it. What shall we do with such a man? What will it cost? A favor.”
6. “It’s a good thing that you’re here. I don’t suppose you could ‘Jensen’ your way in there and grab it for me?” – Smiley Fletcher asking Jensen to retrieve some data
5. “This isn’t about Augs versus Naturals… This is about terrorism. And in my book, there’s no excuse for the taking of innocent lives. No matter the reason.” – Adam Jensen
4. “I got a speech, Jensen. Just one. Got it memorized, too. So I suggest you do the same. I’m not here to be your friend. I’m not your pal, I’m not your buddy. Don’t try calling me sport, or partner, and definitely not fucking bro. I’m your pilot, plain and simple. You want to talk about the mission, fine. You want to get cozy… you can forget it. Remember all that, and we’ll get along just fine. ” – Elias Chikane
3. “When you rob a man of everything, he is no longer in your power, he is free again.” – ARC’s pass phrase for the week (from Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn)
2. “Oh, you think you will be a good little wrench and come through untouched, yes? He has eyes but he cannot see.” – Viktor Marchenko
1. Eliza Cassan: “Much of the future is already defined, but not my role in it. Should I continue to resist? How do I resist?”
Jensen: “If you really are sentient, you should decide things like this for yourself. You don’t need me.”
Cassan: “It is not easy to process infinite possibilities alone.”
Jensen: “That’s what coin flips are for.”
What are some of your favorite quotes?